19 August 2011

It begins

It should be noted by readers of this blog that I'm starting my first year of teaching on Monday. I'm a bit anxious about it but also a bit excited. We've had a lot of teacher in-service and time to prep so, in theory, I'm completely ready. In practice, well, we'll see.

So, school hasn't started but I've already received my first parent complaint. Apparently, I'm not being a "good role model" by not sitting in a chair properly during the parent orientation. I'm the first to admit that I could be unprofessional, but then again, I challenge anyone to find a comfortable position in those little, hard-backed chairs. My principal called me in to discuss it. He said, what I will generously paraphrase as, "haters gonna hate." And on the one hand, I do think it's silly to complain about a teacher in the back of the room not sitting still, it is a good reminder that teachers are constantly being scrutinized. So, fair warning. The game is afoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment