31 December 2011

Books of the Year: 2011

This is the 4th consecutive year that I've kept track of what books I read. Unfortunately, this is the only year where the number of books decreased from the previous year (last year I read 51 books). I attribute this to grad school and being a new teacher. Despite reading less books in their entirety, I know I spent tons of time reading this year. Last semester, it seems like all I did was read. So, even though I apparently read less, I probably read at least the same amount, or possibly more.

Anyway, the books. It goes Title author, date I finished reading it
  1. Children of God, Mary Doria Russel 1/2 (don't worry, this is a sci-fi novel)
  2. The Rise and Fall of Languages, RMW Dixon 1/5
  3. The Forever Machine, Mark Clifton 1/11
  4. The Art of Teaching Spanish: Second Language Acquisition from Research to Praxis, Salaberry & Lafford 1/14
  5. Double Star, Robert Heinlein 1/16
  6. What to Eat, Marion Nestle 1/26
  7. The Big Time, Fritz Leiber 1/28
  8. Teach Like a Champion, Doug Lemov 2/17
  9. Seedfolks, Paul Fleischman 2/23
  10. The Windup Girl, Paolo Bacigalupi 2/28
  11. Starship Troopers, Robery Heinlein 3/13
  12. Foundation, Isaac Asimov 3/21
  13. Foundation and Empire, Isaac Asimov 3/22
  14. Second Foundation, Isaac Asimov 3/24
  15. Foundation's Edge, Isaac Asimov 4/2
  16. If I'm so Successful, Why do I Feel like a Fake? Harvey Katz 4/11
  17. Foundation and Earth, Isaac Asimov 4/21
  18. The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome, Tony Attwood 4/25
  19. Aspergirls, Rudy Simone 4/26
  20. Free: The Future of a Radical Price, Chris Anderson 4/30
  21. Prelude to Foundation, Isaac Asimov 5/18
  22. The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins 5/21
  23. Catching Fire, Suzanne Collins 5/23
  24. Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins 5/26
  25. Asperger's Syndrome and Anxiety: A Guide to Successful Stress Management, Nick Dubin 5/31
  26. Omnilingual, H. Beam Piper 5/31
  27. Containment, Christian Cantrell 6/3
  28. Gods and Myths of Northern Europe, H.R. Ellis Davidson 6/15
  29. Forward the Foundation, Isaac Asimov 6/17
  30. The Passage, Justin Cronin 6/26
  31. This Book is Overdue! How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All, Marilyn Johnson 7/1
  32. The Wild Things, Dave Eggers 7/2
  33. Glut: Mastering Information through the Ages, Alex Wright 7/14
  34. Everything Is Miscellaneous: The Power of the New Digital Disorder, David Weinberger 7/19
  35. Hyperion, Dan Simmons 7/28
  36. Ambient Findability, Peter Morville 8/9
  37. Crash Course in Public Library Administration, Wayne Disher 8/15
  38. The Killer Angels: The Classic Novel of the Civil War, Michael Shaara 9/17
  39. The Fall of Hyperion, Dan Simmons 11/5
  40. A Fire upon the Deep, Vernor Vinge 11/24
  41. The Lightening Thief, Rick Riordan 11/25
  42. California: A History, Kevin Starr 12/28
Trends:
  • I didn't manage to get through any books in languages other than English this year. Sort of horrifying, but I think this is indicative of how all-consuming it was to finish my credential/get a job/maintain my job/start my masters
  • I started reading through Hugo Award winners, of which I read 8 this year.
  • 30 of the books I read were Kindle books, which means I'm reading a lot more digitally. 
  • 15 were non-fiction. My non-fiction doesn't seem to follow much of a trend. Once again, I seem interested in everything.
Goals for 2012?

I can't really bring myself to set any goals because I know this year is going to be crazy between work, my MLIS and getting my clear credential. Other things being equal, I hope to read at least 50 books, some of those should be in languages other than English (notably Spanish and Arabic). I want to keep reading through Hugo winners because that has been interesting so far.

My non-reading goal is to write and blog more. We'll see how that goes, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment